Friday, December 2, 2011

Holly Wreath

I am more than thrilled with my thrift store wreath make-over!

My trip to the Goodwill recently was a hit. I was in need of a something to put on my mantle and I saw this plain twig wreath and thought I could make-it over and make it pretty. I LOVE the way it turned out and it was so cheap!!



Total spent on this project: $5.00!
Wreath: 2.99 @ Goodwill
Star: 1.00 @ Dollar Tree
Holly: Free - my own back yard (check your local christmas tree farms)
Mirror: Free - hand-me-down from my mom
Spray Paint: 1.00 (for the amount I used)


So hit up your thrift store, dollar store, yard and own garage to see what you have to make-over a wreath of your own! It's really fun and quite simple, plus you'll probably love it so much that you'll just sit and gaze at it with a smile on your face (at least I do).

1: Spray paint the wreath - I chose silver.

2. Cut holly from bush (or use greenery/berry sprigs from craft store).

3. Attach to wreath using wire or hot glue. I used wire since my holly is real and I wanted to be able to remove it after the holidays before I put the wreath in storage.


4. Paint the frame of mirror. My frame was gold, but I wanted white. After few coats of spray paint  I wasn't getting a solid color (probably because I didn't sand it before . . . oops). However I really like how the pain kind of crackled!

4. Attach the wreath to the mirror/frame. I used fishing string so it would be invisible. I looped it through the wreath and then glued it to the back of the frame. The wreath was tipping forward so I put a small dab of hot glue at on the mirror and stuck it to it. Worked like a charm.


 Loving the completed project!!


Reindeer make-over - Tomorrow!

I linked to Home Stories A to Z.
Tip Junkie handmade projects

12 comments:

  1. so cute! It looks great on your mantle. Love your blog!
    Karen@Pocket Full of Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I'll have to scope out the thrift store this weekend!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-sixteen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Btw, I'm admiring all the creativity here. Hope you can swing by tomorrow to join my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Would make a great gift as well. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!
    Teresa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! I am going to have to make a few visits to Thrift Stores & GW!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO darling!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! (and red during the holidays) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out beautiful! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your kind comments ladies! It's nice to be back to creating and blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantle looks fab! I love the classic Christmas colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to let you know you are featured in my blog for my top 20 diy wreaths.

    happy holidays

    http://ourlittlenestonthelake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much Mrs Aussie. That totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails