Monday, July 5, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Pie

My friend Heidi and her kids came over to swim last week. She was kind enough to bring me some food from her garden, rhubarb being one. She told me it would be enough for a strawberry rhubarb pie. 

I haven't had rhubarb pie since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure my grandma made it for a family gathering once. I have no recollection if I liked it or not. 

When I told my husband that I was going to make a strawberry rhubarb pie to take to a friends house this weekend he gave me a strange look.  He's never had it before. When he tasted a small piece of the celery looking type veggie (yep, it's a vegetable) he really looked at me weird. Rhubarb may look like celery and have a very tart taste, but it makes one amazing strawberry rhubarb pie. 

Everyone loved it and we had seconds and thirds. Go find some rhubarb and make yourself a pie. It's so good! 

The recipe I'm sharing comes right from Heidi's own recipe blog, Tasty Sensations. Check out all her fabulous recipes.

Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Pie

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2.5 cups fresh strawberries, halved
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell (or go ahead and make it yourself.)

Streusel Topping
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
6 TBS chilled butter

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Add the sugar, flour and vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into unbaked pastry shell. 

2. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly (I wrapped mine with foil halfway through to prevent the crust from over-browning). Cool on a wire rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails