Monday, August 16, 2010

Watermelon Cake


My baby had her first birthday this weekend. When I saw this watermelon cake on Betty Crocker I knew it was the one. Simple, colorful and cute!

Watermelon Cake
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 strawberry cake mix - eggs, water and oil as called for on box
2 cubes butter - room temperature
2 lbs powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla
1 tbsp - milk
Food coloring (gel food coloring will make dark and bold colors)
1.5 cups miniature chocolate chips

Cake:
1. Make cake as directed on the box. Add a few drops of red food coloring to make the batter darker.
2. Add 1 cup mini chocolate chips to batter.
3. Pour batter evenly into 2 round cake pans.
4. Bake as directed on the box.
5. Let cakes cool before assembling and frosting.


Frost and Decorate:
1. Make butter cream frosting by mixing the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk to get desired consistency. For pictures and further instructions on making butter cream frosting click HERE.
2. Divide frosting into 2 bowls  - about 2/3 in one bowl and 1/3 in the other.
3. Add red food coloring to the larger bowl and green to the smaller. Mix thoroughly.
I don't have a cake stand so I just turned over a large plate as my makeshift stand. Put a dab of frosting on the plate to keep the cake from slipping off. Place 1 cake on the plate. If if has a rounded top take a serrated knife and gently level it off.




Cover the cake with a thin layer of red frosting on the top top surface. Place the second cake on top.  Use the remaining red frosting to cover just the top portion of the cake.. Go slow and try not to drag crumbs. (Freezing your cake a few hours before you frost it will help keep the crumbs under control.) 




Use the green frosting to frost along the edge of the cake. Add mini chocolate chips to the top of the cake! (To give the cake even more texture you could press green jelly beans into the green frosting.)



Here's the birthday girl enjoying her cake. No messy face or hands here. She'd only poke her fingers in it. 




28 comments:

  1. Hi... I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking cake!

    And an adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and creative cake! I love the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! I just featured watermelon over at my blog last week. I wish I would have known about this one... TOO CUTE!!!

    ...visiting from Sassy Sites! I'm a new follower! Come by and say HI! I love your blog! It's such a SASSY site! :)

    I also do vinyl :)
    www.choosethewriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore this idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, now that's just cute! I love cake decorating ideas that are simple enough for me to do but make the cake look really special. Found you via Tip Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously how precious and yummy is this!!!?! Cute! I'm happy to be your newest follower and I'd love to have you stop by Frou Frou Decor..I love new friends. I'd also like to invite you to link up to my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party each Friday!! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FFD~

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks REALLY really good!
    Please remember to link to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute - perfect for a summer party! I am sure kids would just love this.

    Susan,
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
    Party and Entertaining Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea! My kiddos would love this. And your little Miss is sure cute too.

    Thanks for linking to Messy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable recipe. I added it to my StumbleUpon reviews. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is the most unique cake I've ever seen and it looks like the birthday girl really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great cake! And of course what a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable -- both cake AND baby! I can't believe she didn't dive headfirst into that cake. I wonder if she'll be tidy when she's a teenager ... one can only hope!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this cake idea - what to copy it for labor day get together!
    What a cute baby you have!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Daisha! I found your site off of Today’s Creative Blog! I love your craft! It looks absolutely unbelievable! I just signed up to be your newest follower! Woo hoo! I hope you stop by my new blog. I just started it 2 months ago and would love new friends! Please come see me at http://www.modernfamilymagazine.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uh, yum. I need one of these pronto. It looks so good! It looks like your daughter is having a pretty great birthday!
    Thank you for sharing this on my first Friday link party! I hope you can join again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too cute! And what a cute birthday girl, too! I may try this cake sometimes! Love the use of the mini chips! Patti in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great cake. So pretty, fun, and do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, this is such a cool looking and yummy desert, i could never have imagined i would see such a cute little cake,

    ReplyDelete
  21. thats such a lovely looking cake, i wonder how you could get the idea of making a watermelon cake, simply yummy looking and the little one is enjoy it very much so it seems,

    ReplyDelete
  22. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Thank you for sharing this. It is worth reading for everyone. Very informative. Keep it up.

    href=”www.filelikes.blospot.com/”> Download All Software

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails