Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bakin' Your Bacon

Bacon is indeed the "candy of the meats." I mean what family doesn't crave it, cook it or consume it in ridiculous quantities. The problem, or course, is the frying.  But, if you're still toiling over the frying pan then prepare to be dazzled. Baking is the best way to cook bacon; hands bown. There's no mess, splatter, or bacon-imbued clothing after standing over a spitting griddle.

I hated that my house and hair smelled like bacon when I use to fry it. . . although I must admit my husband did give me a little extra attention on those days.  Such is my man's love of these succulent strips that I think he'd prefer me to dab a little grease behind my ears routinely. Let's face it, guys like meat.  I for one, love the taste, but not the lingering smell.

So, if you're tired of smelling like a diner after you've cooked a bacon breakfast then grab a pack of meat-candy and try bakin' your bacon for a change.

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
You'll need 1 or 2 jelly roll baking pans, the ones with the sides. Lay down a sheet of foil that extends the length. Next, rip off two more pieces that are bigger than the first. Lay them on top of each other on the counter and fold them over together a few times on the long side so you have a tight seam. Open it back up and lay the foil on top of the previous piece. Crimp those edges down all around the sides of the pan. By using this foil method you will have the easiest clean up ever. Maybe a few dips of grease on the pan, but probably not.
Now lay out your bacon in a single layer so they are close but not touching. As you can see my pan only fits 9 pieces. You can use a second pan if you want to cook the whole package or put the rest in the freezer or fridge for another day.
Next, put it in the oven and carry on with your breakfast making duties! The oven will do all the work for you. Set the timer for 12 minutes to start. After your timer beeps just check to see if it is to your crispy likeness. We like ours rather crispy so 15-17 minutes is my time of choice.

Take it out of the oven and place bacon on a stack of paper towels to soak up that extra grease. Be careful not to rip the foil. Serve it up and enjoy the crispy goodness!!


P.S. Wait till after the grease has cooled to carefully wrap up and discard your foil. Throwing a few paper towels on the foil will soak up the grease too.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun blog, Daisha. I'll be checking back for more fun stuff. You can visit my blog, too: richellescreativecorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invite to this Daisha! You rock! I've also found bacon in the microwave is quite a sinch and quick! Plus if it's summer and freaking humid like it is here then it's a plus not to get the oven going. Thanks again!
    Love,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails